Pastoral Leadership training is one of ALARM’s core programs with an objective of empowering untrained pastors and church leaders with skills and knowledge so as to serve their churches and community effectively. Specifically, the training offers an opportunity for these leaders to grow as they are challenged to love God deeper, to further develop their leadership skills and to participate wisely in the ministry of reconciling people to God and to each other in their local areas and in the nation.
ALARM has been conducting pastoral leadership training targeting the untrained pastors from different estates in Kisumu mainly Manyatta, Kondele, Obunga and Nyalenda estates which are the informal settlements in the town of Kisumu County. Kisumu town is one of the growing towns in Kenya with a population of 1,555,574 people (according to the 2019 Kenya Population and Housing Census).
This challenge of a growing population with poor leadership is made worse due to low literacy, poor sanitation, idle youths, and a growing presence of youth militia groups particularly in the slums. The Church in the community is strategically placed to make her significant contribution in addressing some of these vices through its pastors and church leaders.
From 30th November to 4th December 2020, ALARM Kenya facilitated a course on Interpretation of the Bible and Preparation and Delivery of God’s Word. This was the fourth session of the PLTI program that started in March 2019 with a general pastoral conference drawn from Next Step Church: A Pastor’s Handbook for leading their people along the Pathway to Missional Living. The model is that of 3 B’s, Belong, Become, and Beyond.
The course title for this session was in two parts;
- Hermeneutics: Interpretation of the Bible: This first part of the course aims to provide guidelines on how to interpret different genres of the Bible and to enable learners to correctly handle the Bible passages;
- Homiletics: Preparation and delivery of Biblical Sermons: The second part is designed to equip preachers with principles and skills in reaching out to others with the Word of God through the preaching ministry.
Training Responses and Achievements
Despite changing the training venue and the COVID 19 pandemic challenges, the attendance was good, of 38 participants representing different denominations. This shows the commitment of the PLTI students and the hunger to learn more on the Word of God to enable them minister better in the power of God and wisdom.
The five-day training was quite interactive with the eager participants asking questions and actively participating in the group discussions.
Here are some testimonies
- Pastor Daniel Owiyo Agiso from Baptist convention Church of Kenya I’m born again and love the LORD Jesus Christ as my LORD and Savior. I want to thank God for ALARM, from the day I joined ALARM through Kisumu Pastors and the courses I have been getting especially about the Grand Narrative which has helped me a lot. The 3B’s in conjunction with church planting has enabled me be a good preacher as well as plant church under the convention church of Kenya called Covenant of Life Baptist Church and God has really blessed us and we are doing well all because of the efforts of ALARM Kenya. I want to thank God that despite this difficult period of COVID 19 Pandemic, through the grace of God we have been allowed back to study about Hermeneutics and Homiletics. It has been very powerful and very transforming. I want to thank the entire ALARM for making this effort so that we get to know much and even when we go back, we shall know how to teach the word of God, to preach the word of God so that we shall not be ashamed after the work. Thank you very much. God bless ALARM in Jesus mighty name. AMEN.”
- Pamela Okotta“My name is Pamela Adhiambo Okotta, I’m born again and love the LORD Jesus Christ as my LORD and Savior. I got born again in 2004. Since then, I’ve been desiring to be a teacher and a preacher of the word of GOD. In 2012 when I got an opportunity to share the word in my church, Deliverance church, in 10 minutes I didn’t have the words because I wasn’t knowledgeable. I also didn’t have money to go to college. Last year when I met a brother, Barrack Odamna, who invited me to join ALARM I was very privileged to join ALARM. Today, I can say that through ALARM, I have learnt to study the Bible, to interpret the Bible, to release the points from Bible verses. I want to thank ALARM for this opportunity since I didn’t have money to get this knowledge I’m getting. I’m now a teacher of the word of God and a leader of the women in our church. I now have the words to speak, to encourage, to teach. I know the content and context of the word. I thank the entire ALARM team and bless God for this opportunity. May God bless you ALARM team and may you continue helping preachers like us who don’t have money to go to Bible College.”
- Pastor Fredrick“Good afternoon and praise the LORD. My name is Pastor Fredrick. I take this opportunity to thank ALARM Kenya for the opportunity to train ministers of Gospel to be well equipped according to 2 Timothy 2:15. Since I joined ALARM, I’ve learnt a lot that has helped me even on church planting. At the beginning of the year 2020, I was sent to Nakuru to plant a church. And through the efforts and training of ALARM Kenya, I’m glad to say that I ministered the work well and by the Grace of God, the church picked up well. I’m happy to be here again to study Hermeneutics and Homiletics which is so timely as it will help us learn how to prepare before sermon delivery. I’m grateful to ALARM team, Madam director, all the lecturers for their time and commitment to be with us during this time. God bless us, God bless ALARM Kenya.”
- Millicent OgaloMy name is Millicent Ogalo from AIC church, in Manyatta. I serve in the ministry of children and women, called Christian Education Department. I joined ALARM in 2019 and the trainings have been so much helpful in my life. Teachings on the grand narrative and synthesis of the Bible have helped me in the children ministry as well as women ministry. Thank you for the training materials which have impacted positive knowledge on me. Thank you for today’s training on interpretation of the Bible and different sermon types which has enlightened my mind. I trust the Lord that in the near future when I become a pastor, this knowledge is going to help me and also help others. God bless ALARM for what they are doing and what they have done in our lives. Thank you
Opportunities for Ministry
In 2017, right after the repeat of presidential elections, ALARM Kenya conducted a mediation training aimed at equipping the Christian lawyers and peace building actors to engage in calming the political tense situation that was turning to be violent.
As a country, there are concerns about the next general elections that require intervention at all levels. ALARM Kenya’s strength is working at the grassroots level and thus intends to work with our networks in Kisumu County to empower church and community leaders, including Christian professionals in different sectors to be agents of peace and reconciliation in this volatile county.
ALARM Kenya conducted this training session in Manyatta Baptist Church, in Manyatta area in Kisumu County and even as our training was ongoing there were groups of HIV positive vulnerable groups composed of young single women (from 18 years), widows and a few men who were coming to the church for psycho social support.
We learnt later that the church administration through their pastors have been offering them moral support. As ALARM Kenya, we intentionally integrate our three programs of servant leadership, peacebuilding, and community development to bring about holistic transformation.
Kisumu County is bordered by Homa Bay County to the South, Nandi County to the North East, Kericho County to the East, Vihiga County to the North West, Siaya County to the West. In our three-year PLTI program implementation in Kisumu, our prayer is that we can have ALARM Ambassadors in these neighboring counties who are passionate in being agents of change and reconciliation.
ALARM Kenya is grateful to the friends and partners who pray that our programs will impact the lives of people that we reach. May God bless you in his own ways for the moral and financial support that you give to the Kingdom of God through ALARM.